Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grommets/Eylets

I have to note the plastic eyelets are a failure at one point; where the downhaul tensions the luff of the sail, two eyelets up from the tack.

I'm going to put a brass coated metal eyelet back in here. I wasn't happy with the last lot I purchased as they were labeled 'brass' but after seeing rust forming on them, they were obviously only brass coated. All brands seem to be like that.

I don't have much choice but to use a metal eyelet as there is so much downward tension at that part of the sail the press-together plastic version just pulls apart. I could try gluing the plastic one together in some way but nothing really sticks to plastic all that well.

I've had two experiences of being stuck in the middle of the lake with a sail failure (well, one was due to a snapped mast) and I don't want to have another one. Mind you, I'm getting good at recovering from sea-borne tragedies.

Anyway, a brass coated one is going in. I'm going to press it together as gently as I can in the hope of not damaging the brass coating too much. I think I'll give it a coat of Kill-Rust or something as well, just to be on the safe side.

UPDATE: Whitworths Marine Hardware have a stainless steel version, so I'll get a packet of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment